Submitted by : Easy recipes to make with your kids
250g butter, softened
¾ cup caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 ½ cups plain flour
8-10 drops red food coloring ( or what ever color you kid likes)
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- Cream the butter and sugar together with a spoon in a bowl or using an electric mixer. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until smooth. Add the flour and mix until a smooth dough forms.
- Divide the dough into four. Color one portion with red food coloring and another with cocoa powder and 2 plain. I did this in separate small bowls with a knife, but you could knead the color in.
- Wrap the four dough portions separately in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line two baking trays with non-stick baking paper.
- Roll each piece of dough on a floured surface into a rectangle shape about 18cm x 20cm. To make swirly biscuits, place the pink dough on top of the plain dough, trim edges into a neat rectangle and roll into a log.
- Repeat with the other plain dough and chocolate dough. To make the marbled biscuits, knead the trimmings together and roll into a log.
- Slice the logs into 5mm width biscuits. Place biscuits on baking trays and cook for about 15 minutes until golden.