Recipe Submitted by : Fountain Avenue Kitchen [Click and find more such recipes from Fountain Avenue Kitchen]
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2-3 celery stalks, chopped
3-4 carrots, chopped
2 bay leaves
1/8 teaspoon saffron (optional)
1 quart chicken stock
2 cups water
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 12-ounce package frozen corn or 2 cups fresh
1 10-ounce package frozen creamed corn (I use Cope’s brand)
1/2 cup small egg or Amish noodles (omit for gluten-free option)
3 eggs, hard-boiled and chopped
1/4 cup fresh parsley
kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Heat olive oil in a large, heavy-bottomed soup pot or Dutch oven. Saute onion, celery, and carrots until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add bay leaves, saffron, stock, water, and chicken. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Remove chicken to cool slightly. Add both corns and noodles and continue to cook soup at barely a simmer.
- In about fifteen minutes, shred chicken, and return to pot.
- Continue cooking for another half hour to an hour. Remove bay leaves, and add eggs, parsley, sugar, and salt and pepper to taste during the last 10 minutes.