Submitted by : Waqas Awan
Duration : 20
1 large eggplant
1 large onion chopped very fine
1 large tomato chopped very fine
2 green chillies chopped very fine (optional)
7-8 cloves of garlic chopped very fine
1/4 cup chopped coriander
2 tbsps mustard oil
Salt to taste
- Baingan Ka Bharta requires that the eggplant be roasted. This can be done in several different ways:
- Roast on a gas cooktop by just placing the eggplant straight on the burner and keeping the flame on low setting.
- Keep turning and cooking till all the skin on the eggplant is charred and the inner flesh looks really soft.
- A good sign to watch for is that the eggplant seems to ‘cave in’ on itself!
- Grill in your oven grill or on your barbecue grill. Again, keep turning periodically till all the skin on the eggplant is charred and the inner flesh looks really soft.
- ‘Roast’ in your oven till all the skin on the eggplant is charred and the inner flesh looks really soft.
- Once the eggplant is roasted, allow to cool fully and then peel off and discard the charred skin and stem.
- Mash the eggplant roughly, in a mixing bowl.
- Add the mustard oil, onion, tomato, green chillies, garlic, coriander leaves and salt to taste. Mix well.
- Add a squeeze of lime juice and mix well.