Recipe Submitted by : Sparrows and Spatulas [Click and find more such recipes from Sparrows and Spatulas]
12 2-inch beets, trimmed
1 cup crumbled soft fresh goat cheese (about 5 ounces)
2 tablespoons minced shallot
1/3 cup unseasoned rice vinegar
1/3 cup chopped fresh mint
1/4 cup walnut oil or olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line rimmed baking sheet with foil.
- Place beets on sheet (if using both light- and dark-colored beets, place them on separate sheets to prevent discoloration).
- Sprinkle beets lightly with water. Cover tightly with foil.
- Bake until beets are tender when pierced with fork, about 40 minutes. (Note: after 40 minutes on 350 degrees, my beets were not even close to being done.I turned the temperature up to 425 and kept them in for another 35 minutes. That did the trick.)
- Cool on sheet.Peel beets. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Place in resealable plastic bag; chill.)
- Using cheese slicer or knife, slice beets very thinly. Slightly overlap slices on 6 plates, dividing equally.
- Sprinkle with cheese, then shallot, salt, and pepper. Whisk vinegar, mint, oil, and sugar in small bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle over beets. Sprinkle with chives.