Submitted by : Palakkad Cooking
Broken Wheat Rava – ¾ cup
Split Moon Dal – ¼ Cup
Ginger – 1 inch piece
Water – 2 cups
Whole Black Pepper – 6 to 8
Cumin Seeds – 2 tsp
Cashew – 6 to 8
Curry Leaves – few sprigs
Asafoetia – 1 pinch
Ghee – 2 tbsp
Salt to taste
- Dry roast the broken wheat rava for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Also dry roast the split moong dal till nice aroma comes.
- Wash and rinse the wheat rava and dal in 2 exchanges of water.
- Add it to a vessel, add the grated ginger and 2 cups of water.
- Pressure cook this for 3 to 4 whistles.
- Crush the pepper a little with a mortar and pestle.
- After the cooker cools down and pressure is released, remove the cooked wheat rava and dal mixture.
- Heat a kadai with ghee, add the cashews and fry till they turn golden.
- Next add the cumin, pepper and asafetida fry for 30 secs.
- Now add the curry leaves.
- Finally add the wheat rava and dal mixture. Add salt to taste and mix well.
- Healthy and tasty pongal is ready. Serve with coconut chutney or sambar.