Recipe Submitted by : Fountain Avenue Kitchen [Click and find more such recipes from Fountain Avenue Kitchen]
1 ½ cups gluten-free flour blend or whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
¼ teaspoon ginger
¾ cup brown sugar
1 egg, beaten
3 tablespoons canola oil or melted coconut oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
½ cup milk
1 8-ounce can crushed pineapple, drained
1 ½ cups grated carrots
½ cup raisins
½ cup pecans, walnuts or nut of choice (optional)
- Mix first seven ingredients together in large bowl.
- Combine egg, oil, milk and vanilla in small bowl.
- Mix carrot, pineapple, raisins and (optional) nuts in medium bowl.
- Add egg mixture to carrot mixture and mix well. Then add to dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Divide batter among 12 greased muffin tins (I like to use a large ice cream scoop) and bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- In a hurry? Combine dry ingredients ahead of time. I often prepare what I can in advance, even the day before. Doing so makes the actual task that much faster.
- Make quick work of shredding the carrots by using the shredder blade of a food processor.
- In the summer when zucchini is abundant, try using half carrots and half zucchini.