Recipe Submitted by : Mr. Pete’s Cajun Spices
1 lb smoked sausage, sliced and quartered
1½ lb boneless chicken, cut into small cubes
½ cup of oil
1 bell pepper, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
3 medium onions, chopped
1-3 tbsp chopped garlic
1 quart of chicken stock
1 can of Rotel
2½ cups of parboiled rice
2 tbsp of Mr. Pete’s Cajun Seasoning
Salt to taste
- Pour oil into a large pot on high heat. Add onions once oil is at 350 degrees stirring constantly.
- Cook until onions are a dark brown, almost burned. Add remaining vegetables to pot, bring to a simmer, and cook for about 2 minutes.
- It is important to brown the vegetables fully. This is what gives the jambalaya its color and rich flavor.
- Pour the ingredients of the Rotel can in with the vegetables and stir.
- Cook for another 2 minutes while stirring. Add chicken, sausage pieces, and 5 cups of water. Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients, except rice. Cover again, and bring to a boil.
- Add rice and reduce heat to simmer. Cover for 20 minutes. Let jambalaya stand uncovered to thicken up.
- Serve jambalaya with white beans and fresh bread. Ça C’est Bon!