Submitted by : Chilean Cuisine Cooking Classes in Valparaiso
2 kilos of frozen corn kernels- pulse in a processor until finely chopped.
½ oven-roasted chicken, without bones
3 tablespoons butter or lard
1 tablespoon oil
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 or ½ cup of milk
1 ½ hard-boiled eggs, quartered
7 fresh basil leaves, minced
For the beef filling
400 grams ground beef
1 large onion
2 tablespoons lard
½ teaspoon cumin
1 ½ teaspoon paprika
Salt and pepper
- Heat the processed corn, chopped basil, salt and butter in a large pot.
- Add the milk little by little, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens.
- Cook over low heat for 5 minutes. Leave to one side while you prepare the meat filling.
- Fry the onions in oil until transparent, add the ground meat and stir till brown.
- Season with salt, pepper and ground cumin.
- To prepare the pie use an oven-proof dish that you can take to the table.
- Spread in the bottom of the dish the beef filling.
- Arrange over this the hard boiled egg pieces, chicken, olives and raisins.
- Cover the filling with the corn mixture.
- Sprinkle the top with sugar over the top to caramelize.
- Bake in a hot oven 400 Deg. F (205 Deg. C) for 30-35 minutes until the crust is golden brown.
- Serve immediately. In Chile extra sugar is served to sprinkle over the “pastel” as it is eaten.
- Serve with “Ensalada Chilena”. Good Luck¡¡¡¡