Submitted by : Joure’s Rustic Kitchen
For the cake:
80g cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
250g castor sugar
400g cooked beetroot, drained
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 teaspoon almond essence
2/3 cup sunflower oil – or canola, if you want to make it really healthy
For the icing:
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
¼ cup butter – melted
2-3 tablespoons icing sugar
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Sift the cocoa, flour and baking powder into a large mixing bowl, stir in the sugar, and forget about it for now.
- In a blender, blend the beetroot until it is smooth.
- Add the eggs one a time, blending a bit after every one.
- Add the vanilla and almond essence, as well as the oil and blend until it’s very well mix and smooth and velvety.
- Add this to the flour mixture. Stir it in. don’t whisk it.
- Bake for 30-45 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Mix all the ingredients for the icing together. It should be runny.
- Poke little holes here and there into your cake while it’s still warm and in the baking tin.
- Pour over the icing, let it cool, and then remove from the tin.