Submitted by : The Art of Armenian & Middle Eastern Cooking
For the crust:
1 cup very finely crushed chocolate cookie crumbs
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
For the Filling:
8 oz. bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped (72% Chocolate)
2 tbsp. natural, unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
2 tubs (475 g each) Mascarpone cheese
1 cup light brown muscovado sugar (add another 1/2 cup if you want a sweeter cake)
2 tbsp. cornflour (OR, 2 – 3 Tbsp cornstarch dissolved in 1/2 cup milk)
3 large eggs, beaten (at room temperature)
Cocoa powder, to dust
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4 (350 degrees F).
- Line the base and sides of a 23cm (9 inch) spring-form cake tin with parchment paper. Place the cookies in a strong plastic bag and crush them with a rolling pin. Tip the crumbs into a large bowl and stir in the melted butter and cinnamon until evenly mixed.
- Place the crumb mixture in the prepared cake tin and press down firmly with the back of a spoon and chill for 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, gently melt the chocolate in a small heatproof bowl over a pan of barely simmering water. Stir until smooth, then set aside until cooled but still liquid.
- (Or, melt in Microwave, see the tip below)
- Place the mascarpone, cocoa powder, sugar and corn flour (or, dissolved cornstarch) in a large bowl and beat with an electric whisk until smooth. Whisk in the cooled chocolate and eggs. (Don’t overbeat the filling once the eggs have been added). Pour the filling over the chilled crust, spread evenly, and smooth the top.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake in “bain marie” waterbath at 350°F for 55-60 minutes – the cheesecake will still feel wobbly, but it will set further as it cools.
- Turn off the oven, open the door and leave the cheesecake to cool for 1/2 an hour in the oven, then cool to room temperature on a rack and then refrigerate until well chilled, at least a few hours, or overnight for the best texture and flavor.
- Chill until ready to serve. Dust with cocoa powder and decorate with shaved dark chocolate. Slice and serve with ice cream 🙂
TIP FOR MELTING CHOCOLATE IN MICROWAVE:
This shortcut is a great alternative to the traditional method of melting chocolate in a double boiler. Microwaves vary greatly, so you may need to adjust the timing to suit your machine. Put the finely chopped chocolate in a wide, shallow bowl and heat it in the microwave on high or medium high until it just starts to melt, about a minute. Give the chocolate a good stir and microwave it again until it’s almost completely melted, about another 15 to 30 seconds. Remove the bowl and continue stirring until the chocolate is completely melted.