Submitted by : Joure’s Rustic Kitchen
Plain sponge cake ( I cheat and buy the ones in the stores)
2 packets cherry jelly
1/2 cup blueberries
1/2 cup strawberries, cut up into quarters
1/2 cup raspberries
1/2 cup pomegranate pips
1 litre custard, preferably homemade, definately hot
1 large jar of cherry or strawberry jam, also preferably homemade
250g slivered almonds
50ml liquer, I use Amaretto
1 cup cream
vanilla essence or rose water
- Make the jelly according to packet instructions and add the berries before it sets (not the pomegranate pips)
- Make your custard, or heat it up, and add the liquer.
- In your large bowl, put a layer of the sponge cake at the bottom.
- Liberally spread hald of the jam onto it.
- Scoop some of the jelly onto this.
- Sprinkle some of your nuts onto the jelly.
- Pour some of your hot custard onto it. Using your spoon, push it into the sides of the bowl to let some of the custard get to the sponge cake at the bottom.
- Repeat this all again to make 2 layers.
- Whip the cream with some vanilla essence or rose water.
- Spread this on top and sprinkle the pomegranate onto the cream.
Note:It is ALWAYS better to make this the day before you plan to eat it. Just wait with the cream then, put it on just before serving.