Submitted by : Chef Noor
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
1 teaspoon chili-garlic hot sauce (optional)
1 pound tail-on shrimp, shelled but leave tail on
1/2 cup all purpose flour
2 tablespoons coconut milk (or regular milk)
Salt and pepper
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/2 cup sweetened coconut flakes
Oil, for frying
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, sweet chili sauce and the chili-garlic hot sauce (optional). Set aside.
- With a paring knife, slice down deep at the middle of the back of the shrimp, but do not cut all the way through. Discard the black vein/tract.
- Set three shallow bowls side by side. Place flour in the first bowl; whisk the egg and coconut milk in the second; and combine the panko and coconut flakes in the third.
- Heat 2 inches of oil in a sauté pan over moderate heat until thermometer registers 350°F.
- As the oil is heating, bread the shrimp by dipping the shrimp on both sides in the flour and shaking excess off. Next dip in the egg/coconut milk mixture and then in the panko/coconut flakes, patting to ensure the coating sticks well.
- Fry the shrimp in small batches for 2-3 minutes until golden brown on both sides. Serve with Sweet Chili Mayo for dipping.