Recipe Submitted by : Purva’s Food Funda (Mumbai, India)
1 cup Urad Daal (Black lentil without skin)
2 cups Fresh Yogurt(curd) (Should be sour)
1 tblsp. red chilli powder.
1 tsp. roasted cumin powder
1 tsp. Sugar
1 tsp chaat masala powder
1 tsp black salt
salt to taste
Oil for frying
Ingredients Tamarind chutney :
100 gms tamarind (remove seeds)16px
50 gms dates (pitted)
100 gms jaggery
2 cups water
1 tsp fennel seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds (roasted)
1 tsp salt
Red chilli powder as per taste
- Soak the urad daal in a bowl of water overnight. Grind it into a paste the next morning. Add 1 tsp salt and mix well.
- Heat oil in a pan.Now take about a tablespoon of urad daal batter and give it the shape of vada (Doughnut shape or round). Drop the vadas slowly into hot oil and deep fry them in medium heat and then high flame until it becomes golden yellow. Take out the vadas in a large container having salt water and let it soaked until required.
- Take the curd in a container and beat it well till becomes frothy. Now add red chili powder, roasted cumin powder, chaat masala powder, sugar and black salt and mix it well.
- For making tamarind chutney, 16pxPut tamarind, dates, jaggery and water in a saucepan and cook on a medium flame till the dates and tamarind are soft. Using a food processor or hand blender t blend mixture together into a smooth paste. Put paste back into the saucepan and onto a medium flame and add fennel seed powder, cumin powder, red chili powder and black salt. Bring the sauce to a boil and turn off. Allow it to cool.
- Take out the vadas from water and Squeeze so as to remove the excess water from it. Arrange them in a serving bowl and pour the curd mixture evenly so that all the vadas get covered completely.
- Chill the vadas before serving. At the time of serving place 3 or 4 vadas in a small plate and garnish withe red chili powder, chaat masala powder, fresh coriander leaves and finally tamarind chutney.