Recipe Submitted by : Purva’s Food Funda (Mumbai, India)
Splits of Bengal gram (Chana Dal) – 1 cup
Rice – 1 tbsp
Onion – 1/4 cup chopped fine
Finely chopped green Chili – 1 tsp
Finely chopped ginger – 2 tsp (optional)
Red chili powder- 1 tsp or less
Turmeric powder- ½ tsp
Asafetida (Hing)- ¼ tsp
Soda bi-carb (baking soda)- ¼ tsp (optional)
Finely chopped coriander leaves – 1/4 cup
Finely chopped curry leaves- 4
Salt to taste
Oil for frying
- Soak chana dal, rice for 6-8 hrs. Drain out the water completely from the soaked dal & rice.
- Grind dal & rice without water to a course paste and it should not become a paste.
- Mix all the ingredients together, except the oil. At this point you can adjust the taste according to your preference.
- Heat oil in wok. Take small dumplings out of the dal mixture and flatten them in between your palms. Drop the vada into the hot oil and deep fry until it done; Make sure to keep the heat between low- medium…. If the heat is too high, the outer portions get cooked faster than the inner, and you’ll end up with either burnt vadas or semi-cooked vadas.
- Once done, remove from oil and drain into paper towels. Serve hot with tamarind chutney or ketchup or just as is and enjoy!
Note : While flattening the dal mixture for deep frying, you can make it either very flat or leave it a little thick. the flatter ones turn out crisp and the thicker ones would be a little soft. So, its personal choice to make them flat or thick.