Recipe Submitted by : Parsicuisine
Ingredients : For Dhansak Dal
1 lb Chicken skinned and washed. (or Spring Lamb, Goat Meat)
1 1/2 cups Tuvar Dal washed and soaked for 30 minutes.
1 large onion chopped.
1 Tomato chopped.
1/2 cup fresh coriander leaves chopped.(optional)
5 leaves of fresh mint.
3 inch piece of yellow/orange pumpkin.
2 Potatoes peeled and quartered.
2 tsp salt.
1 tsp Turmeric.
Water enough to cover the contents.
- Put the above in a Pressure cooker and cook for 10 minutes only.
- Open cooker and remove meat and potatoes.
- Mash the dal with electric blender or by hand. Put in a large pot and bring to a simmer.
Ingredients : For Vaghar
1 small onion finely chopped.
2 tbsp oil.
2 tsp Ginger/Garlic/Chili Paste. Make paste by grinding 1 inch piece of gingerroot,
4 cloves garlic and 2 hot Jalapeno chilies.
2 tsp Dhansak Masala.
2 tsp Dhanajeera.
Salt and Black Pepper powder to taste.
- Fry the onion in hot oil till brown. Lower heat and add the paste. Fry till aroma comes out.
- Add the rest of ingredients and fry 1 minute on very slow heat.
- Immediately add this Vaghar to the simmering dal.
- Add water if needed. Taste and add salt/spices to your taste.
- Add the meat and potatoes and simmer 5 more minutes.
- Serve Dhansak with Hot Brown Rice, Kavab and Kachumber.
Ingredients : For Brown Rice
2 cups Basmati rice washed and soaked for half hour.
4 cups water.
1 tbsp oil.
1 small onion. (or caramel sugar instead the onion )
1/2 inch stick cinnamon.
3 Cardamom pods.
1 tsp Salt.
- Chop the onion into very very fine slices.
- Heat oil and brown onion till dark brown, keep water handy and add immediately before the onion becomes black. This is the way to give the flavor and color to the rice. ( Or add caramel sugar )
- Add Rice and the rest of ingredients. Bring to a boil uncovered, Now put on lowest heat and cook 20 minutes.
Ingredients : For Kachumbar
1 large onion.
Salt or Vinegar to taste.
- Chop onion into very fine slices. Crumble with hands and mix in salt or vinegar.
- Add chopped tomato, cucumber, chilies, coriander and mint. Garnish with Lemon Wedges and serve with Dhansaak.