Recipe Submitted by : Sandhya (Punjab,India)
Preperation Time: 30-40 minutes
1 Large cauliflower
3 Medium sized potatoes
1/2 large Onion sliced thinly in long slices
1 tsp Coriander
1/2 tsp Turmeric
3 tblsp Vegetable Oil
1 tsp Mustard seeds
2/3 pods Cardamom
1 tsp Cumin seeds
- Start boiling the potatoes in a saucepan. Let them boil for at least 15 minutes. After they are done, turn off the heat and let them stand in the water.
- Cut the cauliflower into small bite sized pieces (roughly 1″ cubes), throwing away most of the stem pieces. Wash and drain in a colander.
- While the potatoes are cooking, heat the oil in a wide skillet until it is very hot. Add the mustard seeds and wait until they start popping. Add bay leaves, cardamom and cloves.
- Mix around for a while and then add onions. Wait until the onion starts to turn before adding the rest of the spices (except for turmeric).
- Put the cauliflower in the skillet and fry in the oil and spices for 2 minutes. While the cauliflower is frying, cut up the potatoes into bite sized pieces and add to the skillet. Add turmeric and stir.
- Continue stirring the vegetables under medium heat for another couple of minutes. Add 1/2 cup of water and reduce heat to low. Cover skillet and let cook for 5 minutes.
- Check tenderness of vegetables. If they are still too hard, add another 1/4 cup of water and cover again for 5 minutes.
- Salt to taste and serve.