Recipe Submitted by : Fountain Avenue Kitchen [Click and find more such recipes from Fountain Avenue Kitchen]
1/2 cup tightly-packed, fresh cilantro sprigs (about 1/2 ounce)
1 cup tightly-packed kale leaves, tough stems removed (about 1-1/2 ounces)
2-3 tablespoons fresh chives (if you don’t have them, it’s fine to omit)
1-1/4 cups homemade or low-salt chicken broth
1-1/4 cups coconut milk
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
1-1/2 cups long-grain brown rice
1/2 an onion, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
- Put the cilantro, kale, chives and broth in a blender and blend until the vegetables are puréed. Add the coconut milk and salt and blend a bit more until well combined.
- In a medium saucepan (with a good lid) over medium-high heat, heat the olive oil and saute the onion until it starts to soften.
- Add the garlic and rice and saute, stirring occasionally, until the rice begins to brown, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the contents of the blender, stir well, turn the heat to high, and bring to a boil.
- Cover the pan, turn the heat to low, and cook for 25 minutes.
- At this point, remove the lid and stir the rice.
- If there is still a good bit of liquid and/or rice is not cooked to your liking, allow to cook for another 5 minutes or so.
- Then take the pan off the heat and let the rice steam in the covered pot for 10 minutes. Serve hot.