Recipe Submitted by : Zeenat Hasta (India)
Preperation Time 240 Minutes
1/4 kg whole Wheat
50 grams white Udad dal
50 grams Chana Dal
50 grams Yellow Moong Dal
4 medium size Onion
50 grams green chillies
1/2 kg mutton
1/2 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
1 teaspoon garlic paste
1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
1/2 teaspoon star anise powder (chakra phool)
1/4 teaspoon jeera
4 to 5 curry patta leaves
100 grams pure ghee
salt to taste
- Take wheat, chana, moong & udad dal and wash it.
- Take a large vessel and put all the washed dals in it. Now cut 3 onions and chillies and add them in the vessel.
- Pour 2 litre of water and bring it to boiling.
- Switch of the gas and let the mixture soak for over night.
- Next morning cook the soaked mixture on high flame by adding 2 litre water to it.
- Now clean the mutton and put it in a pressure cooker. Add a little of salt and ginger garlic paste.
- Add 1/2 litre of water and close the lid of the cooker. Cook till 4 to 5 whistles.
- Once done, open the lid and mix it well so that the mutton is shredded and keep it a side.
- Now cut thin slices of 1 onion and fry till golden brown. remove it from the ghee and keep it a side.
- In the same ghee now add jeera, curry patta, garlic paste & star anise powder.
- Fry till the garlic starts turning into golden brown and then add it to the boiled wheat and dals.
- Now mix this mixture with a hand blender till a thick paste.
- Add the shredded mutton to the wheat and dal paste.
- Now the haleem is ready.
- Before serving heat a little ghee and pour it on the haleem and the add the fried onions on top for garnishing.
One needs to have lot of patience to cook this dish.