Recipe Submitted by : Fountain Avenue Kitchen [Click and find more such recipes from Fountain Avenue Kitchen]
Ingredients for the lentils :
1 cup green or brown lentils or sprouted bean mix, cooked in stock or water, according to package directions (see note)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon olive oil
- Toss cooked lentils with lemon juice, olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste.
Note: Lentils typically cook in about 20 minutes. For the sprouted bean mix, simmer for 5 minutes, remove from heat, and let sit, covered, for 10 more minutes. With either, drain any unabsorbed liquid. Cooking in chicken stock or broth will add great flavor.
Ingredients for the roasted veggies :
1/2 red onion, thickly sliced
2 sweet potatoes, cut into long, 1/2?-thick wedges
3 carrots, halved lengthwise and crosswise and cut into 1/2?-inch thick wedges
4 ounces baby portabellas (or mushroom of choice), halved
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
1/2 teaspoon garam masala
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and a few grinds of the pepper mill
2 tablespoons olive oil
Optional: Mixed greens and a few lemon slices for serving
- Mix the spices, salt and pepper together in a small bowl.
- On a large, oiled baking sheet, toss the veggies with the 2 tablespoons olive oil. Sprinkle the spice mixture overtop, and toss to coat evenly.
- Bake in a 425 degree oven for about 25-30 minutes or until the vegetables are cooked through and slightly caramelized. (I checked after 20 minutes, tossed them around a bit, and took them out after 25 minutes.)
- I like to put the warm lentils over mixed greens then top with a pile of roasted veggies and a slice of lemon.