1 box (454 gr) Kadayef shredded dough (room temperature)
1-1/2 cups unsalted Butter, melted
2 cups Half & Half Cream
2 cups Whipping Cream
2 Tablespoons Sugar
3/4 cups Corstarch
3/4 cups 2% Milk
For the Syrup
3-1/2 cups Sugar
2-1/2 cups Water
1 teaspoon Fresh Lemon Juice
1 or 2 Tablespoons Rose Water
Coarsely ground Pistachios
- The Syrup:
- Start preparing the Syrup in order to allow it to cool.
- Combine sugar and water in saucepan and boil 5 to 10 minutes. Add lemon juice and Rose Water.
- Set aside to cool.
- Spread the Kadayef on a large tray and start separating the strands.
- Coat the Kadayef completely and evenly with the melted butter.
- Make sure to fluff the Kadayef with your hands and keep it moist.
- Divide the dough into 2 equal portions.
- Spread one portion evenly into the base of a 17 X 13 inch baking pan.
- Meanwhile, prepare the filling by combining the Half & Half and Whipping Cream in large saucepan and sugar.
- Bring to slow boil over low heat, stirring constantly.
- At this point, keep an eye on this cream mix and it’s best you lower the heat, until your next step is ready.
- In a separate container, combine cornstarch and milk, stirring until cornstarch is dissolved.
- Slowly add the cornstarch mixture to cream mixture, stirring constantly, until mixture returns to slow boil.
- Spread hot cream filling over the Kadayef base in the pan.
- Carefully, spread the second portion of Kadayef dough over the top of cream layer, pressing down gently to form an even surface.
- Place in the middle oven rack and bake at 400 – 450 degrees F. until golden brown, about 25 – 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and immediately pour the COLD syrup evenly over the Kadayef.
- Decorate with Pistachios.
- Cut into squares and serve hot or cold.