Recipe Submitted by : Fountain Avenue Kitchen [Click and find more such recipes from Fountain Avenue Kitchen]
4 medium portobello mushrooms
olive oil for brushing mushrooms
5 ounces fresh kale, chopped, cooked and drained (see note)
1/2 a 5.3-ounce container goat cheese with garlic and herbs, or Boursin cheese (softened)
3 tablespoons grated onion
1/8 teaspoon kosher or sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
optional: 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, minced, and a few teaspoons extra cheese for topping
- Preheat your grill.
- Gently clean the mushrooms and remove the gills with a spoon. Brush all over with olive oil and set aside.
- For the filling, mix the kale, cheese, onion, salt and pepper, and optional thyme together in a bowl.
- Stuff the mushrooms, dividing the filling evenly among the mushrooms.
- Turn the heat off on one side of the grill so you can cook the mushrooms over indirect heat. Place the mushrooms on the cool side of the grill, stuffed side up.
- Cover and cook until filling is bubbling and the mushrooms are well seared, 15-20 minutes. During the last couple minutes, top with additional cheese, if desired.
- Remove from grill and serve immediately.
For easy preparation of the kale, I first remove any tough stems then coarsely chop. Either steam in the microwave or on the stove top until wilted. This will only take a couple of minutes. I like to wring out the extra moisture in a clean tea towel or heavy-duty paper towel.