Recipe Submitted by : Purva’s Food Funda (Mumbai, India)
Preperation Time: 20 minutes
Besan (Gram flour or chickpeas flour)- ½ cup
Onion – 2 med. size
Red chili powder- 3 tsp or personal choice
Turmeric powder-1 tsp
Asafetida (Hing)- ¼ tsp
Coriander powder (or coarsely crushed)–2 tsp
Cumin powder- 1 tsp
Soda bicarb- 2 pinch
Salt – to taste
Oil- as required
Water- as required
- Cut onions into thin slices. Take onion slices in bowl. Add red chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder & salt.
- Mix well with using hands. Add Besan and very little water(approx. 2 /3 tsp). Mix it well.
- Heat oil for deep frying in a kadhai /wok pan. Put small quantity of above mixture in hot oil. Put the mixture in batches (don’t put all at once). Make bhaji such that onion slices are coated with the batter and there seem equal amount of batter and onion.
- Deep fry till bhajee become golden brown and drain excess oil-using tissues. Serve hot with spicy chutney. Enjoy hot bhajee in a rainy days!! 🙂
Healthy option for deep-fried bhajee i.e. “Baked Bhajee”
- Preheat the oven to 200 C / Gas 6. Line a large baking tray with baking parchment.
- Gently sweat the onions off in a frying pan with some oil until they turn translucent, about 6-8 minutes.
- Sprinkle in the chilli powder and mix. Add the turmeric, cumin, hing, coriander and stir well. Remove from the heat.
- Place the gram or chickpea flour, salt & soda bicarb in a bowl and mix well.
- Add the above sautéed onions into a bowl and mix.
- Add a little bit of water to get the correct consistency, it should be wet and easy to stir, but not sloppy.
- Drizzle some oil onto the prepared tray, place 2 tbsp of the onion mix onto the tray for each bhaji, flatten slightly with the back of the spoon.
- Bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 20-25 minutes, drizzle a little oil on top of the bhajees and bake for an additional 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve hot, enjoy!