Submitted by : Persian vegetarian-recipes
Serve : 4-6
1 pack of lamb style soya
1 large onion, peeled and chopped
1 head of celery, washed, cut into 1 inch pieces
2 bunches of Parsley, washed and finely chopped or 2 cups dried parsley
1 bunch of mint, washed and finely chopped or 2-3 tablespoons dried mint
2 cloves of garlic, minced
Juice of 1-2 limes/lemon (can be adjusted to your liking)
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
Salt and pepper to taste
5-6 tablespoons vegetable oil divided in two parts (for frying onions and celery separately)
- In a large saucepan heat some oil. When hot, add onion and sauté until transparent, add add turmeric and garlic, stir and saute for an additional 5-6 minutes.
- Place soya in the saucepan. Add salt and pepper to taste. Then add 2 cups of water, bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook.
- In a large frying pan sauté the cut-up pieces of celery until they become soft and turn slightly brown on the outer edges, add chopped parsley and mint and sauté a little more.
- Add all the vegetables to the meat mixture; sprinkle some salt on the celery, check to see if there is enough water in the pot, add more water if needed, cover and cook on low heat for an hour and a half.
- Pour the lime juice over the stew towards the end of cooking and adjust the seasoning.
- Ladle the stew into a serving dish. Serve with rice and salad.