Submitted by : Palakkad Cooking
Duration : 30 minutes
Serve : 3-4
Kothavarangai/Cluster Beans – 200 gms
Tuar Dal – 2 tbsp
Channa Dal – 2 tbsp
Dried Red Chilli – 2 (adjust according to taste)
Asafoetida – 2 pinches
Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp
Salt to taste
Ingredients for Tempering :
Oil – 1 tbsp
Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
Urad Dal – 1 tsp
Curry Leaves – few sprigs
- Wash and soak the dals along with the red chilli, for 20 minutes to half an hour.
- Drain the water completely from the dals and grind coarsely with chilli, asafoetida and salt. Do not add any water while grinding.
- Grease an idli stand, take a little of the ground dal and pat it on one of the idli grooves. Repeat till the ground dal is over.
- Steam this in a cooker for 6 to 7 minutes, or till a knife inserted comes out clean.
- Cool, remove from the mould and pulse in a mixer till the dal resembles a coarse powder.
- Wash the cluster beans, string them and chop finely.
- Pressure cook the chopped beans for 3 whistles. Remove from the cooker after the steam releases.
- Heat a Kadai with oil. Season with mustard seeds, once they start popping add the urad dal. Once the dal turns golden brown, add the cooked beans.
- Add turmeric powder and salt to taste. Stir and fry for 3 to 4 minutes or till all the water is evaporated.
- Now add the steamed powdered dal and mix very well. Fry for 3 to 4 minutes and remove from heat.