Recipe Submitted by : Purvas-Food-Funda [Click and find more such recipes from Purvas-Food-Funda]
Basmati rice (Authentically used Ambemohar Rice) – 2 cups
Green peas- 2 cups
Ivy gourds (tondli/ tindora), quartered- 1 cup
Califlower, cut into med. pieces- 1 cup
Brinjal, cut into med. pieces- 1 cup
Cashewnuts, broken- 1 cup
Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
Asafoetida (hing)- ¼ tsp
Turmeric powder- ½ tsp
Chilli powder – 1 tsp
Curry leaves- 5/6
Groundnut Oil (or any oil)- 3 tbsp
Salt to taste
Kala Masala –
Dry coconut , grated- 1 tbsp
Cinnamon sticks- 2 pieces of approx. 2cms
Sesame seeds- 1 tbsp
Cloves- 3 to 4
Black cardamoms- 2
Coriander seeds- 2 tbsp
Cumin seeds- 2tsp
Fresh coconut- 4 tbsp
Cilantro (fresh coriander)- 4 tbsp
Clarified butter (desi ghee)- As required
- Wash the rice in two to three changes of water. Drain and keep aside.
- On moderate heat, roast the dry coconut, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, sesame, cloves, black cardamoms and cinnamon till the coconut turns golden. Let cool.
- Put in a grinder and grind into a powder. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. When hot, add mustard seeds. When they begin to pop, add curry leaves, hing and sauté for a few minutes.
- Next add all vegwtables and sauté some more. Add rice and mix well. Add the powdered spices & chili powder and mix until the rice is well coated.
- Add cashews and season to taste. Add 4 cups of warm water, cover pan with a lid and cook until rice is done.
- Garnish with fresh coconut and cilantro. Add desi ghee to enhance the taste. Serve hot with a raita , papad & other curry, kadhi.
- This is a authetic recipe of Masale Bhat. This is not much more spicy. This is a popular menu of Maharastrian Marriage.
- If you don’t have time to make ‘Kala Masala’, you can use ‘Goda Masala’ instead of this.
- There is only little bit change in taste.