Recipe Submitted by : Russian Recipe Book
Duration : 25 Minutes
Serves : 2
Millet Kasha – millets cooked in milk and served with butter and optional onion. Good as a standalone dish for breakfast or a side dish.
1 cup millets
3 cups water
1 cup milk
Salt to taste
- Inspect the millets and remove any dirt and unhusked grains (can be challenging – they are tiny!)
- Wash the millets in water many times, about 7-10 times
- Add at least 3 cups of water, or more, and boil for no longer than 3 minutes. If the millets start bursting and their volume grows (which happens quite rapidlyonce it starts), you’ve cooked them for too long!
- Quickly pour off the water; there is no need to strain the millets. Just get rid of as much water as you can.
- Add the milk, bring to boil, and let simmer, covered, until the milk is absorbed.
- Remove from heat and let stand for about 5-10 minutes.
- Add salt to taste.
- Serve with butter or optional chopped onion. You can sauté the onion in butter if you prefer.