Submitted by : Food Corner
Ingredients : (yield about 30 pieces; however quantity depend on the thickness and size of a piece)
1 ½ cup Mung flour
½ cup Rice Flour
About 2 cups Treacle (If Treacle is not available, use jaggary as I did)
1 tbspn butter
Oil for deep frying
½ cup rice flour
1 cup coconut milk
¼ tsp turmeric powder
Salt to taste
1 Egg is optional. But I didn’t use.
- Sift Mung flour and rice flour together. So that they will mixwell.(However if you use Mung beans and rice to make flour, soak them over night, then drain and grind until fine) Keep flour aside.
- In Singapore I do not know where to buy Treacle. So I used jaggery as an alternative. (Palm sugar also can be a good alternative).I sliced jaggery for small pices before using. Use about 1 cup of sliced jaggery.
- Heat a flat pan.
- If you use treacle, pour it on to the pan and make to boil.I used jaggery,so I added about 1 cup water together with jaggery and make them boil and allowed to thicken a bit.
- Then gradually add Mung Beans and rice flour mix. Stir well until it makes even mixture similar to dough. If it is so soft, add some more flour. If it is so hard, add more treacle or bit water.
- However above are the quantities I used last week and I didn’t face any problem.
- Once all things are mixed well, add butter and mix.
- Remove the mix from the burner and flatten on a baking tray or a flat tray.
- Cut into small pieces.
- Allow them to cool and rest.
- Preparing batter
- Use the ingredients above for the batter.
- Gradually add coconut milk to rice flour and make a thick batter.
- Add turmeric powder and salt to taste.
- Final step
- Heat oil in a pan for deep frying.
- Take a piece from the tray, dip and cover with the batter and deep fry it.
- Continue the same procedure with all the pieces.
- Now Mung Kavum is ready to serve.
- If you use store bought Mung Flour and Rice flour,it will only takes about 1 hour to prepare Mung Kavum with above quantities.