Recipe Submitted by : Purva’s Food Funda (Mumbai, India)
Oats flexes- 200 gm
Sugar- 200 gm
Vanilla essence- 1 tsp
- Dry roast oats very lightly in a non-stick pan on low heat till light brown. Remove from the pan and set aside in a bowl.
- Dry roast the almonds and coarsely chop.
- Heat large size non-stick pan. Add sugar, stir continuously till the sugar melt. Add vanilla essence.
- Cook till attains “ one string consistency”(Ek tari pak).
- Add oats and almonds and mix well. Sauté continuously for 3-4 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture onto a aluminum foil and spread it evenly.
- Shape it square, folding sides of aluminum foil and pressing it by hands.
- Cut into small square pieces. Decorate with almonds.
- Cool completely and store in an airtight container.
- Bar (Chikki) should be shaped when the mixture is still hot, as the mixture solidifying as it cools. Chikki should be crisp and firm and one can store them in an airtight container for fifteen days or longer.
- One String consistency (Ek tari pak)- When small quantity tested between thumb and forefinger, a long string is formed.
- Add 1 tsp coco powder in sugar syrup with above mixture. Cut it rectangle shape like bar. Melt chocolate and dip them in chocolate. Oats almond chocolate bar is ready.
- Bar (without chocolate layer) served with ice-cream.
- Crush chikki coarsely and use as nougat over cakes and ice-creams.