Recipe Submitted by : Purva’s Food Funda (Mumbai, India)
Oats – 1 Cup
Water – 3/4 Cup
Onion – 2 Table Spoon (Finely Chopped)
Grated Carrot – 2 Table Spoon
Frozen Baby Peas – 2 Table Spoon
Capsicum – 1 Table Spoon (Finely Chopped)
Green chilies – 4 (Finely Chopped)
Grated Coconut – 2 Table Spoon (optional)
Turmeric Powder – A Generous Pinch
Salt – As per taste.
Coriander Leaves – 1 Table Spoon
To Temper :
Mustard Seeds – 1 Teaspoon
Urad dal / Black gram – Teaspoon
Asafoetida – A generous pinch
Oil – 3 Teaspoon
Curry Leaves – A Sprig
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, then add urad dal, fry till golden brown, then add curry leaves, onion, green chilies and sauté with a pinch of salt for a minute then add grated carrot, peas, capsicum, turmeric powder to it, water and enough salt and bring it to a boil, simmer the flame and add oats to it and mix well, if it is too dry then sprinkle little water. After a minute or two the oats will be cooked and become sticky in consistency. Put off the flame, add, grated coconut and coriander to it, mix well and allow it to cool.
- Grease hands with little oil, and make equal sized balls out of the mixture. and press the balls so that it becomes little flat and oblong in shape.
- Steam cook for 4 to 5 minutes. Yummy and tasty oats unde ready to be served hot with Tomato ketchup or any chutney.
- Make sure the measurement of water is less than oats, otherwise it will become too sticky.
- You can make it plain without adding any vegetables, it tastes great that way too.
- Keep the oats kozhukattai covered, as it may become dry when kept open.