Submitted by : Maha’s Fine Egyptian Cuisine
Duration : 45 minutes
Serve : 4
½ kilo of beef cubes or your choice of meat
3 tbsp olive oil
1 chopped green chili pepper (optional)
1 tsp black pepper
1½ tsp dried coriander
1.5 tbsp salt.
2 cardamom pods
1 cup chopped onion
2-3 minced garlic cloves
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 cup diced tomato (red and ripe)
1 lemon or 2 limes
2 packages frozen okra 300 gms ea or 1 kilo fresh (you can get from the Egyptian supermarket -Wadi Food- on Lawrence Ave. East (Lawrence & Warden) I also bought it at No Frills Fresh and frozen and found it at Food Basic frozen, if you are buying it fresh better choose the small okra pods.l
- In a pot cook the beef in olive oil, add cardamom, black pepper then add the onions, garlic and sauté for couple of minutes until the meat is golden brown.
- Add the chili green pepper, coriander and bay leaves.
- Add 2 cups of water and keep the heat on simmer until the meat is cooked, add a dash of salt and make sure that you still have some sauce in the pot with the meat.
- Add the tomato paste and the chopped tomato and stir well. Simmer for couple of minutes until you have a thick sauce. The sauce should not be watery, but if you find it is too thick then you can always add some water to thin it a bit.
- Bring it to a boil then add the fresh or frozen okra, stir all, taste for the salt and you can adjust it according to your taste.
- Reduce the heat and cover the pot, leave it for about 10 min. or until the okra is cooked.
- Make sure you have sauce with the okra, but if the sauce evaporates, you can add some water while it is cooking so you have not less than a cup sauce with the okra.
- Squeeze the lemon or lime juice on the okra right before serving.
- Serve hot with cooked rice or bread and Egyptian green salad.
When buying fresh okra, look for young pods free of bruises, tender but not soft, and no more than 4 inches long. Okra may be stored in the refrigerator in a paper bag or wrapped in a paper towel in a perforated plastic bag for 2 to 3 days, or it may be frozen for up to 12 months after blanching whole for 2 minutes. Cooked okra can be stored (tightly covered) in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.