Recipe Submitted by : Purva’s Food Funda (Mumbai, India)
Chopped spinach leaves/palak- 3 cups
Gram/ chick peas flour (besan) – 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups
Rice flour- 1 tbsp
Red chili powder- 1 tsp
Roasted cumin powder- 2 tsp
Carom seeds (Ova, Ajvain)- 2 tsp
Turmeric powder-1 tsp
Asafetida (Hing)- ¼ tsp
water as required
salt to taste
Any oil for deep frying
- Mix all the above ingredients adding salt as required and 2 tablespoons hot oil. Add very little water and mix.
- The batter should just coat the palak leaves and it should not be a flowing batter but a stiff batter.
- Heat oil in a wok. Once the oil is piping hot, reduce flame to medium and drop a little mixture of the batter to form fritters.
- Deep fry the bhajis. Do not burn them……….usually they fry fast. Do not over crowd in the wok.
- Serve Palak bhaji warm with tomato ketchup & a cup of tea…