Recipe Submitted by : Fountain Avenue Kitchen [Click and find more such recipes from Fountain Avenue Kitchen]
Recipes for baked goods often call for the cold ingredients to come to room temperature before mixing. This is especially helpful when using melted butter, coconut oil, or honey which tend to re-harden upon contact with cold ingredients. If this happens, I very gently and slowly heat the batter in the microwave until I can incorporate the ingredients fully–but not cook them.
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup old-fashioned oats
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
2 cups plain Greek yogurt (I use either non-fat or 2% Chobani)
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup coconut or canola oil (melt the coconut oil; melted butter may also be used)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 large or 2 small overripe bananas, well mashed
2 cups fresh blueberries (mix with black raspberries, if desired)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine flours, oats, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in center of the mixture.
- Combine the yogurt, milk, oil, vanilla, egg, and banana in another large bowl.
- Gently fold in the berries, stirring just enough to incorporate.
- Add the yogurt mixture to the flour mixture and stir just until moistened.
- Using a large ice cream scoop, fill about 20 greased muffin cups. (See note.)
- In a small bowl, combine 1/4 cup whole wheat flour, brown sugar and coconut oil or butter. You want it to resemble small crumbs. (I think it is easiest to do this with my fingers.) Stir in almonds and sprinkle evenly over batter.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes or until muffins pass the toothpick test. Be careful not to over-bake.
- Cool in pans for 10 minutes, and then remove to a wire rack.
- There will be enough streusel topping for approximately 2 dozen muffins if you prefer to make your muffins a bit smaller than I make mine. If you do make your muffins smaller, check them a few minutes before the specified baking time.
- I have also omitted the streusel topping and sprinkled with a few almonds or granola mixed with chopped pecans. Yet another option is to sprinkle the top with a bit of coarse sugar.