Recipe Submitted by : Fountain Avenue Kitchen [Click and find more such recipes from Fountain Avenue Kitchen]
Serve : 12 muffins
1 15-ounce can 100% pure pumpkin (not pie filling)
1 cup bran cereal (like Fiber One or All Bran)
3/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup melted butter or coconut oil
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
Coarse sugar for sprinkling, optional
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the pumpkin, bran cereal, raisins, butter or melted coconut oil, and sugars. Stir in the eggs and the buttermilk.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add to the pumpkin mixture and stir to just combine.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least three hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease or line a 12-cup muffin tin and scoop the batter into the pan. I like to use a large ice cream scoop. Cups will be rather full but they will not overflow.
- Sprinkle the tops with a little coarse sugar, if desired, then bake for 23-28 minutes or until the muffins pass the toothpick test.
- Allow muffins to cool for 5 minutes in the pan, and then remove to rack to cool completely.
- Store leftovers in refrigerator and rewarm gently in microwave, if desired.
Note :When using melted coconut oil or butter, it is helpful to have your ingredients at room temperature prior to mixing. This will prevent the oil or butter from solidifying again.