Submitted by : Easy Recipes From All Cultures [ Click for more such wonderful recipes ]
A large pot of water
1 Whole Chicken of about 3lbs.
1 Lemon cut in four lengthways
2 large air-dried chillis (or any chillis will do).
6 Cloves of garlic (skin on and bashed).
1 Each – large sprig of rosemary and thyme
10 Medium potatoes.
8 Medium carrots.
Extra virgen olive oil
Salt, black pepper, and more water if necessary
- First peel the potatoes, scrape the carrots and leave to one side.
- Put a large pot of water (approx 5 1/2 Quart) on the heat (big enough to take the whole chicken) and bring it to the boil.
- Now – season the chicken inside with salt and black pepper.
- Stuff the cavity with your garlic, herbs lemon quarters (squeezing them inside the cavity first) and chillis.
- Then close up the skin using a wooden skewer or a cocktail stick.
- Now the exciting bit – plunge the bird into the boiling water – for five minutes – turning it over and over.
- Let it dry – either by hanging from a hook or placing on some absorbent kitchen paper for 30 minutes
- Meanwhile bring your potatoes to the boil and parpoil for five minutes. Remove from the heat – drain and leave them covered in their pan.
- Paint your bird with a little olive oil- season with salt and black pepperand place it in the oven on a large roasting tin at 350ºf/175ºc for thirty minutes.
- Toss your potatoes in olive oil and add them and the carrots to the roasting tin.
- Cook for a further 30 minutes turning the vegetables once.
- Add a little water if necessary and cook for a further 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and arrange the chicken and vegetables on a serving dish.
- Make the gravy by deglazing the roasting tin with some water and thickening with a little slaked corn starch (Cornfl