Recipe Submitted by : Mr. Pete’s Cajun Spices
1 cup oil
1 cup flour
3 onions, diced
2 bell peppers, diced
4 cloves of minced garlic
1 cup chopped green onions
4 quarts of shrimp stock
1 tbsp of Mr. Pete’s Cajun Seasoning
1 tbsp of filé powder
1 tbsp of hot sauce
Salt to taste
2 bay leaves
2 lbs of shrimp, peeled
1 pint of oysters in juice
1 cup of crabmeat, cooked
8 cups of parboiled rice
- In a large pot, heat the oil and slowly add the flour while stirring.
- Continue to stir until a medium to dark brown roux is formed, then add the vegetables.Sauté until the onions become translucent and the vegetables are tender.
- Add the stock and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer.
- Add your seasonings, and salt to taste. Cook for about 30 minutes.
- With the gumbo on low heat, add the shrimp 10 minutes before serving, the oysters and its juices 5 minutes before serving, and the crabmeat just before serving.
- Add the filé powder and green onions, stir, and remove pot from heat. Let the filé powder sit for approximately 5-10 minutes.
- Stir and serve the gumbo over rice with fresh potato salad and bread. Bon appétit!