Submitted by : Tomato Wellness
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: about 4 to 6 hours
1 (6-oz.) can no salt added tomato paste
2 Tbsp each: chili garlic sauce and honey
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp peeled and finely chopped or grated fresh ginger,
1 (20-oz.) package extra lean (99% fat-free) ground turkey
2/3 cup panko bread crumbs*
1/3 cup each: diced red bell pepper, diced water chestnuts and sliced
2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- Place a long strip of foil inside the slow cooker and press into the bottom. (This will allow you to lift out the cooked meatloaf.)
- Stir together tomato paste, chili garlic sauce, honey, soy sauce and half the ginger in a small bowl; set aside.
- Stir together 1/4 cup tomato mixture, remaining ginger and all remaining ingredients in a medium bowl until well blended.
- Shape mixture into a round or oval loaf to fit into your slow cooker and place on foil.
- Spread reserved tomato mixture over the top and sides of meatloaf.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours or until internal temperature reaches 165°F on a meat thermometer.
- Carefully lift meatloaf out of the slow cooker and let stand for 5 minutes before slicing.
- Makes 4 to 6 servings.
Quick oven variation:
- Prepare meatloaf as directed above, placing on a lightly greased baking sheet instead of in a slow cooker.
- Cook in a preheated 350°F oven for 50 to 60 minutes or until meatloaf reaches 165°F on a meat thermometer.
*Panko or Japanese bread crumbs can be found in the Asian Foods section or near traditional bread crumbs in most supermarkets.
Nutritional analysis per serving:
Calories: 220, Fat: 2.5g, Saturated Fat: 0g, Trans Fat: 0g, Cholesterol: 90mg, Sodium: 570mg, Potassium: 444mg, Carbohydrates: 21g, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 11g, Protein: 32g, Vitamin A: 25%, Vitamin C: 40%, Calcium: 2%, Iron: 20%