Recipe Submitted by : Fountain Avenue Kitchen [Click and find more such recipes from Fountain Avenue Kitchen]
1 baked pie crust
1 envelope Knox gelatin
¼ cup cold water
¾ cup sugar, divided
4 eggs, separated
½ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 cup strawberry juice and pulp (mash or blend in the blender)
Drop red food coloring
Garnishes: whipped cream and extra strawberries, sliced
- Soften gelatin in cold water.
- Cook the egg yolks, slightly beaten, ½ c sugar, lemon juice and salt in the top of double boiler until of custard consistency.
- Add softened gelatin to the hot mixture and stir until dissolved; then add strawberries and a drop of red food color. Cool.
- When the mixture begins to thicken, fold in egg whites which have been beaten to soft peaks and to which the other ¼ cup sugar has been added.
- Fill baked pie shell with mixture and chill. Just before serving spread a thin layer of whipped cream over the pie and top with a strawberry garnish!
- Store in the refrigerator.
- As noted above, the custard filling may be poured into individual ramekins for a crust- and gluten-free option.