Recipe Submitted by : Purvas-Food-Funda [Click and find more such recipes from Purvas-Food-Funda]
Split pigeon pea (toor dal) or spilt green gram (mung dal) – ½ cup
Drum sticks- 3 to 4
Potato -1 medium size
Chopped onion- 2 tbsp
Chopped tomato- 2 tbsp
Crushed garlic- 7-8 cloves
Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
Red chilli powder or home made masala – 1 tsp or as per taste
Mustard seeds- 1tsp
Asafetida (Hing)- ¼ tsp
Cumin seeds- 1tsp
Fenugreek Seeds- 5-6 kernels
Curry leaves- 10-12
Tamarind pulp-1/2 tbsp (optional)
Jaggery (gur),grated- 1 tbsp
Goda masala- 1tsp
Salt- as per taste
Veg. oil- 2 tbsp
Fresh coriander- 2tbsp
Grated fresh coconut- 1tbsp (optional)
- Wash dal properly. Soak dal for 3 to 4 hours with 2 cup of water. (Don’t drain this water, cook the dal in same water.) Peel drumstick properly cut into 3-4 inches, wash and keep aside.
- Peel potatoes and cut into 1 inch pieces.
- Pressure cook dal till three whistles are given out. (You can cook it casserole with lid. Cook till dal become soft.)
- Heat oil in a kadai (wok).
- Add mustered seeds for tempering. When mustered seeds are popping, add garlic, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, curry leaves. Sauté for a minute. Add hing, turmeric powder and onion.
- Sauté for a minute. Add chili powder and tomato. Sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add drum sticks and potato. Cover and cook till the drumsticks and potato are cooked.
- Open the lid of the cooker when the pressure reduces completely. Whisk well with a ladle so that the dal gets slightly mashed.
- Then add cooked dal in wok and water as required. As the dal begins to boil add salt, tamarind pulp and jaggery.
- Stir it and boil for six to eight minutes. Add goda masala and adjust consistency as per personal choice.
- Continue to simmer the dal for three to four minutes. Garnish with coriander and grated coconut.
- Serve hot with chapati (type of Indian bread) or rice.
- You can use raw mango instead of tomato and tamarind pulp. You can use other vegetables like brinjal, bottle guard.