Recipe Submitted by : Purva’s Food Funda (Mumbai, India)
Vari/Bhagar(Morayo or Samo seeds)- 1 cup
Water- 2 ¼ cups
Cumin Seeds- ½ tsp
Green chilli- 1
Scrapped fresh coconut- 2 tbsp (optional)
Peanut oil or clarified butter- ½ tbsp
Salt to taste
- Dry roast vari till turns light brown. Then heat peanut oil or clarified butter in pan.
- Add cumin seeds and scrapped coconut. Sauté for 1 minute. Add vari, salt and mix well.
- Add 2 ¼ of hot water and mix well. Cover and on lower the gas.
- Cook for 5 to 7 minutes or till all the water is absorbed and vari become soft like rice.
- Serve hot with ‘Shengdanyachi Amati’ and yogurt.
- Eat as it is with only yogurt, it’s also tasty.
Shengdaanyachi Aamti – Peanut Curry
Roasted, peeled and unsalted peanuts- 1 cup
Potatoes- 2 med. size
Chili powder- 1 to 2 tsp (as per personal like)
Cumin Seeds- 1 tsp
Black peppercorns- 2
Clarified Butter (Ghee) or oil- 1 tbsp
Water-2 ½ cups or little more
Jaggery – ½ tsp (optional)
- Grind peanuts and cumin seeds with some water into fine pest. Peel, wash and cut potatoed in small pieces.
- Heat oil in wok, add black peppercorns, chilli powder and potato. Sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add some water and cook for 5 minutes. Add peanut pest, water and salt. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Check the consistency of curry, if necessary then add water. Cook till potato cooked.