Submitted by : Persian Vegetarian Recipes
Serve : 4-5
Sugar (3-4 spoons usually is enough)
3 cups rice – soak in salt water after washing the rice
1 cup zereshk (barberries)
- Rinse rice 3 times, then soak in warm water with 1/4 cup salt for 5 hours. Drain.
- In a large (8 qt) pot, bring 8 cups water to a boil. Add rice and cook 8 to 10 minutes until slightly soft. Drain in a colander.
- In the large pot used to cook the rice, heat 3 Tbsp oil. Add rice, using a large spoon and fluffing rice.
- Cover pot and cook over low heat about 30 minutes. For a crisp, golden layer on bottom of rice (called ˜ta-dig’), cook another 15 minutes.
- Rinse barberries 3 times. Melt butter in a small pot; add barberries. At the same time in a glass mix sugar, boiling water and saffron powder make a syrup and add it to frying barberries when they are still red.
- When it’s ready,mix barberries with a small amount of rice in a separate dish then Using a large serving spoon, place rice in a large flat serving dish and gently add the mixture of rice and barberries on the top of it.